Program Philosophy and Goal
Substance abuse creates distress and mental health problems while distress and mental health problems can trigger substance abuse.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Program at the Friendship Center offers professional clinical counselling, marriage and family therapy, as well as support for those who are concerned about someone else’s substance use or related mental health issues. Treatment is available for those suffering from emotional distress and substance abuse issues. Referrals are not required and most participants are self-directed. Our services include complete bio-psycho-social-spiritual assessments and pre-treatment preparation for intense residential services. Structured ongoing outpatient (non-residential) treatment is available without leaving the community. Our primary goal is to provide services for Urban First Nations People while we are also available for anyone in the community. Our program embraces a holistic approach to wellness and is grounded in respect for Aboriginal and Traditional Cultural healing practices.
- Individual Counselling
- Couple’s Counselling
- Family Therapy
- Group Counselling
- Gender separate therapy groups
- Consultations with other professionals
- Regular Sobriety- Centered Social Programs
Who uses our services?
Anyone who has questions or concerns about substance use or emotional wellness is welcome to access our services.
- Have you or someone who cares about you worried about your substance use?
- Have you had blackouts or a loss of memory as a result of using?
- Do you ever put alcohol or drugs before your family's welfare?
- Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
- Have you been treated at a hospital as a result of using?
- Have you been in court as a result of using?
- Do you lose time from work due to using?
- Have you ever felt remorse or shame from using?
- Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
If you can answer "YES" to any of the above, it is likely you could benefit from our counselling services.
Brendon Gibson - Addictions & Mental Health Counsellor