This is a really exciting program for Parents, sharing and learning through peer facilitation. We have resources that are fun, realistic and can help you grow.
Each session lasts between two and a half to three hours. Some groups meet when they need to. It's your choice, when you come to this program. This program is free of charge and is for parents of children 0 to 6 years old. So come to the Port Alberni Friendship Center as peers share strengths and needs.
Do you want a chance to talk to other parents about Parenting?
- Interested in being part of a caring, learning group?
- Are you interested in increasing the social, emotional, mental and physical development of your family?
- Are your children "in care" and do you require a parenting course?
The principles of our program are:
Parents are able to provide better parenting when their own learning needs have been met. Parents want to learn with and from their peers about parenting.
The goals are:
- To promote community leadership in parents through group facilitation.
- To promote family well-being and positive parenting practices for parents.
- To increase the safety and well-being of our children.
- To provide culturally appropriate parenting techniques.
- Issues Affecting Aboriginal Parents and Children
- Families (part 1) - Families (part 2) Blended Families
- Abuse Prevention
- Child Removal/Return Home/Foster Care
- Behaviour Management and Child Abuse Prevention
- Discipline and Responsibility
- Anger and Conflict
- Living with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Pre and Post-Natal Care
- Daily Living
- Child Safety and First Aid
- Stress Prevention and Recreation
- Goal Setting and Problem Solving
- Community Resources and Peer Support
Hours of Service
Every Tuesday from 9:30am to 3:30pm
Monday to Friday 8:30pm – 4:30pm