This program is here to assist families in maintaining a healthy and positive environment for their children The Family Support Workers provide support and information for families in their own homes or at Knee-waas.
Family Support Workers provide services to families who are in need of support and or are referred by the Ministry of Children and Family Development. Our services include but are not limited to:
- Support and advocacy at services in the community such as MCFD, USMA, legal aid, and family court
- Assists families in personal and parenting goal setting
- Household management (budgeting and safety plans)
- Support families with identifying and accessing community resources (family planning, legal services, counseling, adequate housing, health care, food security, financial planning)
- Provides opportunities to enhance support networks
- Support with topics affecting Aboriginal parents and children
- Linking parents and children with Elders in the community
- Cultural and traditional teachings
- Nutrition and Parenting drop-ins
- Transportation to groups and appointments
The Family Support Program can be made by any community agency or by self referral. Anyone interested in making a referral may contact the Friendship Center at (250) 723-8281 between the hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday.
Funding provided by